Saturday, January 10, 2009

In defense of the metal genre


Greetings everyone. It was a toss up today to either whine about the economy or talk about metal music...look which one won out!

This a trivial thing, metal music. But it has come to my attention that the genre of music I love so much is misunderstood.

I want to clear a few things up. I DO NOT...I repeat, I DO NOT consider Linkin Park metal. Their style is more akin to alternative. Heck even Itunes lists them as alternative. Nu metal I do not even think of metal. (Slipknot...eh, they have potential. Korn, fugettaboutit...okay...maybe I just to listen to them more...I'm rambling darn it!) To me, they are more like plain old rock. Don't get me wrong, there are some nu metal bands that are really good. Linkin Park is good, Godsmack, etc.

The metal I'm talking about is Metallica, Motley Crue, Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath, you know, the good stuff. *looks at playlist* Okay, I know I don't have any of those bands on the playlist, except Metallica. I don't know those bands as well.

My section of the world is not overly welcoming the to genre. Heck, I don't think I've met another Metallica fan in my town! (I have in my school, even there metal isn't popular and is frowned upon)

Let us now define metal music. Metal is strong, heavy and emotional. It isn't all "I'm out to kill" or "death" Metal is a diverse little group, Thrash, Gothic, Black, are all types of metal.

People don't really understand its complexity. I've looked at a sheet of music for a metal song. Its a complicated piece of work. The vocals can be varied. True, I'm not going to deny there are bands that scream. Listen to some of the others like Nightwish for example. The vocals are complex operatic sounds in their older works. Others combine the two, i.e. Epica. And then there is the plan out singing, i.e. Black Sabbath.

Metal music is like an ongoing experiment.

This genre truly takes dedication if you want to do well. It isn't something to be shunned, but embraced. One of the top selling American bands is a metal band (Metallica).


Special thanks to my Deviantart friend Thisita in the writing of this post!


Signing off!

-T3h Gothic Nerd

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll write here because I don't have a Deviant Art account.

Cool stuff! Especially the dinosaurs; those you've drawn very well, in my opinion. Especially http://shadow-lockheed.deviantart.com/art/Thomas-and-Styx-To-War-71284779
That one is just...
hum. I trust that you've read Dinotopia? If not, it's really not nearly so corny as the name suggests. It's about an island where Dinosaurs and humans co-exist, (dinosaurs are used as pack mules and such,) but the illustrations are phenomenal.
http://www.dinotopia.com/

See you next week, perhaps.

Gothic N3rd said...

Hey man!

Yeah, I've read Dinotopia. Both books,excellent art!